Friday, February 19, 2010

Funny students.

I'm lucky to have some pretty silly students. I was talking with one of the parents of a student yesterday and she was telling me that she had a conversation with her son that went a little something like this...

"Hey Mom, do you know what I want to give up for lent?"

"What?"

"Piano!"

Yeah, right, not happening! :)

Last week, I had a student who was sight reading his new recital song, when he stopped right in the middle and said, "What in the world does poco rit. mean?" At first I was thinking, "Have I taught you nothing?" Then I went on to say, "Poco means 'a little' and rit. means to start slowing down." He just sat there for a second and said, "Why does music use such dumb language? They just need say, 'slow down.'" I don't think reading his statement is quite as funny as hearing it. He had this ticked off tone in his voice when he said, "slow down" and I just started cracking up the second his said it. Then he looked at me like, 'What the heck is your problem, lady?' Oh how I love my students.

Then, one of my students yesterday was saying, "When we get a new teacher will we still be able to come to this house for piano? Or will your mom and sister not live here anymore?" It's so funny how comfortable children get with their habits and daytime routine. I was like, "No, you will have to go to a new house even though my mom and sister will still be living here." To which she quickly responded, "Well. . .I guess I'll just have to quit piano!"

2 comments:

Tracy Joost said...

Can you move to California and teach Chandler. You two would have a blast together!!!

Rayner Gals said...

I can't move to California, because I'm going to BYU Provo this fall! I can totally see Collette!